Thursday, June 11, 2009

Newborn Photos

Hey you! Okay... so I'm doing my FIRST newborn photo shoot, and I'm SUPER nervous!!! I was wondering if you could give me a few tips???

I'd love to give some tips. Honestly, I used to find newborns to be THE HARDEST to photograph. They are so tiny and they surely don't say where you put them. (Unless you are lucky enough to have them sleep soundly for part of the shoot!)

For example...what lens you use... I was thinking my 50mm because it goes to F1.8...
Any special poses that work well...what to do if you're in a low light situation inside a house, because I'm assuming you don't usually do newborn shoots outside...

I'll answer these two together...I like my lowest f-stop, but it can be hard to keep a baby in focus. Their little bursts of moment are somewhat random. So, no matter what settings you are on, make sure to refocus almost every frame. It stinks to come home and see your "favorite" shot is blurry.

My favorite portrait lens is my Canon f/2.8 24-70.

Key things about posing newborns (all the way until they can hold their head up on their tummy):
1) Put babies in their NORMAL environment and position. Don't try to make a newborn do tummy time and think you'll get a great shot. You might - once in a blue moon - but your best bet is putting her in a place she normally lays. This is often Mom's arms or in the boppy...

2) Don't shoot up a baby's nose. I think this is the #1 "issue" I have with people's pictures of their own children. Look at your shots often - that is the benefit of digital. Make sure you're framing the baby well.

3) Don't tilt the camera so that the baby looks like she is laying on a slant. If you angle your camera, make sure the baby's eyes are above her shoulder...does that make sense? (I wish I could draw you a picture!) I'll try to take a photo of my daughter and show you tomorrow...if I don't, someone please email me and remind me.

4) Put the baby in a place she doesn't belong - a fireplace mantel, basket, bookshelf, kitchen table...add a few props

5) Simplify. Find a minimalist space in the house.

6) Look for texture. It's beautiful to have texture behind the smooth baby skin.

7) Open shades and find natural light. Shoot during the day when light is bright...if you are shooting inside.

I am realizing these tips fit for most portraits.


Also, HOW do you get it so all you see is the baby and the parents hands and the rest is all black in the background.

I take the picture with the parent wearing black long sleeves, and put them in front of the darkest background they have at home. Then, I alter the saturation and contrast to make it more dramatic.



Thanks so much Ali, I know you are such a pro, I feel like such doofus asking for your advice!! = ) = ), but you are SO good!! (I just looked through your newborn pics to get some inspiration!! = ))

Thank you for your complement. I am honored to be someone people look to for inspiration. That is beyond what I ever imagined!

No comments:

Post a Comment